Finding a good painting contractor is easy when you know what to ask!
Your time is valuable. Why not hire a professional painter for your next interior or exterior painting project? Two out of every three people hire a professional Painting Contractor for their painting projects.
Using a professional painting service can take the stress out of painting your home. But finding the right one is an important decision that requires careful consideration.
Use the following tips to hire the right professional painting service for any painting project:
The best way to find a quality painting service contractor is to get referrals from friends, neighbors, and acquaintances who have had good experiences with interior and exterior painting service contractors in your area. Ask realtors, general contractors and property mangers who they use and would recommend. You can also get referrals from your local paint store.
Get Estimates from at Least Three Contractors
When you receive painting service contractor estimates, they should fall roughly within the same price range. If estimates differ widely from one another, ask what is not being done or where corners are being cut. Just ask a professional painting service will be glad to help you compare apples to apples.
Interview Each Candidate
Always ask painting service contractors the following questions:
- How long have you been in business?
- Do you have the proper/required licenses? (This varies by state, and some states may not require licensing.)
- Do you have insurance and bonding? (This helps determine whether your contractor and any hired workers are insured for injury and liability.)
- Do you subcontract your work or perform it yourself?
- Can you provide references?
- Do you offer written guarantees of your work?
- What products do you use?
Be Specific About the Project
It’s a good idea to walk each potential painting services contractor around the areas (indoor or outdoor) to be painted while discussing your needs, and particularly any aspects of the project that could affect the price. Be specific about which surfaces you want to have painted (walls, trims, moldings, ceilings, etc.) and the paint colors and finishes you want used. Make sure to ask and discuss in detail the preparation process. With painting the preparation is the most expensive and important part of the process.
Pay Attention to Behavior
As you meet with each painting service contractor, pay attention to the following signs and behaviors:
- Does the painting service contractor project a sense of professionalism and experience?
- Is the painting service contractor courteous and business-like?
- Is the painting service contractor busy? (Good ones usually are.)
- Does the painting service contractor return phone calls and provide estimates in a timely manner?
- Is the painting service contractor on time for appointments?
Be sure to get at least three references from past customers and speak to them directly. If possible, visit references to evaluate the painter service contractor’s work in person and to see how well it has held up over time. Try to visit both older jobs and current jobs. The older ones will help you to find out how the jobs hold up over time but the newer jobs will tell you about the current crew.
Review the Contract
Once you’ve settled on a painting service contractor, ask for a written contract and review it carefully. As a consumer, you have the right to ask detailed questions about any issues you need clarified. In particular, be sure to verify the following:
- What exactly is being painted (house, trim, walls, molding, etc.)
- Details on preparation and cleanup
- Paint colors for each area to be painted
- How the contractor will protect plants, patios, furniture, or other items
- How much time the project will take, from start to finish
- When and how the painting services contractor will be paid
Once you complete these steps, you’ll be ready to hire the right painting service contractor—and enjoy your newly painted home.
Use online color galleries to view thousands of beautiful paint colors and color combinations, and visit our online painting ideas pages for great interior design suggestions.
PS By-the-way… We meet or exceed all of these. You’ be glad you called us. In fact, why not call right now and get your project started? (916) 966-8077